Kindergarten through 12th grade education is immensely important with 88% of all children in public and 9% in private. K-12 has not being doing well. Many parents (more than a million) have opted for home schooling (3%). With the pandemic, millions of children cannot go safely to schools. How is a parent to know what their children should learn?
Beyond readin’, ‘riting, and ‘rithmetic, what do parents need to be teaching their children?
General education—kindergarten through 12th grade—should develop all students in three areas.
|Individual Development||Citizenship||Employable Skills|
Goals in these areas—individual development, citizenship, and employable skills—should guide the courses offered to students.
Individual Development. All you can be
- Develop the student to the level the student is capable and desirous of
- Learn individual responsibility and accepting consequences
- Household management and balancing a personal budget
- Learn discussion skills that allow the student to express his or her opinion as well as listen to other’s opinions when they disagree
Citizenship. An asset to the community
- Understand the rights of others
- Master conflict resolution
- Learn laws and the Constitution
Employable Skills. Capable of supporting self
- Read and write basic English
- Add, subtract, multiple, and divide.
- Follow step-by-step instructions
In another post I will go into the implications for the curriculum. Individual development and citizenship will require additional coursework.
Handful of Curriculum Changes
School Choice in the United States. Published 2019