Pragmatism not Ideology
From Robert Hamill Wiki
Results not Purity
- Democracy is the best political system available, but it's not perfect.
- E.g. Gerrymandering by sitting politicians to subvert the voting preferences of citizens.
- Free market capitalism is the best economic system available, but it's not perfect.
- E.g. Regulations are needed to stop those corporations who abuse their positions.
- Ideological purity could make sense, if everything in the world were pure elemental truths. Unfortunately, most collections of facts, like distribution of income and healthcare coverage are themselves composites of more elemental facts, each having unique circumstances, leading to need for unique situations.
- A pragmatic solution is not perfect for everyone, in every situation - but it's better than no solution.