It takes some hubris to suggest changing in education K-12 with 3 million teachers working their best in the field, but K-12 education is not doing well. Also I want to understand more clearly the conflict between Trump’s Secretary of Education and public school systems.
General education, kindergarten through 12th grade, should develop all students in three areas.
Goals in these areas should be the first guide for selection of courses a student must take and master.
Individual Development. Be all you can be
- Develop the student to the level the student is capable and desirous of
- Learn individual responsibility and accepting consequences
- Household management and balancing a personal budget
- Learn discussion skills that allow the student to express his or her opinion as well as listen to other’s opinions when they disagree
Citizenship. Be an asset to the community
- Understand the rights of others
- Master conflict resolution
- Learn laws and the Constitution
Employable Skills. Be capable of supporting self
- Read and write basic English
- Add, subtract, multiple, and divide.
- Follow step-by-step instructions
In another post I will go into the implications for the curriculum. Individual development and citizenship will require additional coursework. Almost all students already go far beyond the very basic reading, ‘riting, and ‘rithmetic goals.